Facts and Drawbacks about "For Sale By Owner"
Buying or selling a home may be the most important transaction of a lifetime. While some may think they can ?go it alone? without the help of a licensed real estate professional, the risks may be too great. It takes market knowledge and expertise to complete a complex real estate transaction. It?s often an experience people find less than rewarding.
The numbers (if not the sellers) tell the story. According to the 2008 National Association of REALTORS? Profile of Home Buyers and Sellers:
- The median home price for sellers who use an agent ($211,000) was 40% higher than a home sold on the open-market by an owner ($150,100).
- Just 13% of recent sellers sold their home without professional representation. Only 7% of these sales were on the open market (cases where unrepresented sellers were selling to family, friends and neighbors account for 6% of all recent home sale activity).
Most difficult tasks for FSBO sellers were identified as:
As an expert in marketing and negotiation, your Illinois REALTOR?:
In addition to today?s challenging marketplace, owners who try to sell their homes on their own face the increasing complexity of the transaction process:
- More disclosures and legal requirements than ever before
- Underestimating the amount of time required to market and show their property
- Dealing with security concerns about strangers having access to their home.